My Experience at Comic Con

Last week, I promised you details of my weekend at Comic Con. Thinking back on it, I fear the best I can do are highlights. I’m afraid I can’t take up that much space on this blog to tell you everything.

Living an hour outside of New Orleans, I opted to drive back and forth, rather than the expense of a hotel. It might have been a smart decision, IF I drove a small vehicle. I happen to drive a large SUV, and went through a half tank of gas for the round trip each day. Winters are mild in this part of the country, except for those three days. As luck would have it, we hit winter during Comic Con. A day long torrential downpour with temps in the 20’s. For us, it was brutal. For me driving in the mess, miserable.

A crucial blow to my weekend was finding out my tablemate wasn’t going to be there after all. David has Stage 4 cancer. He really wanted to do Comic Con, because he thought it would be fun. Unfortunately, his health took a turn for the worse and he ended up in ICU. My prayers are with him and his family. The first day, his daughter, Mary Beth joined us. The next day, his partner, Joe Ferina helped out. My dear friend and head minion, Stephanie was a godsend for me. She manned the table for me so I could stretch my legs, and use the bathroom. She did coffee and food runs for me. And best of all, if I saw someone pass in an interesting costume, she chased them down and got their picture. We ended up with an incredible album of pics. You can see them on my Facebook page Photo Album.

To be fair, I had a blast at Comic Con. I met a lot of interesting people; attendees, vendors, and even a celebrity or two. I was awed by the people who came by my table just to chat and thank me for writing. A few bought books or a phoenix necklace I designed. I even had a couple of men buy my book. At first, I figured it was for their significant other, but no, they asked me to sign the book for them. That really tickled me to no end. The entire weekend was fun filled. I was amazed that every single person who passed by my table made eye contact with me, smiled and said hello. EVERY SINGLE PERSON! I’ve never seen so many happy people before. It was a surreal experience.

It was a magical weekend, and one I won’t soon forget. Will I go again? Most definitely. Will I go as an artist to work the Con? Probably not. It’s not the marketing niche I need and want. I was approached and invited to attend a SciFi Con in October. I’ll think long and hard before I decide one way or the other. For now, I’m going to relish the memories and focus on writing.

Till next week,

~ Madison

Note: On January 11, 2017 David W. Moore, III passed away after a long battle with cancer. He is survived by his wife, Amelia and daughter, Mary Beth. You will be sorely missed, my friend.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.